Scuba diving is obviously a huge passion of ours here at Ocean Scuba Dive. When we are not out in the ocean exploring the deep blues around the world. We are researching and putting together posts like this one.
And when we are not doing that, we are reading scuba diving related books and watching scuba diving related TV shows and movies. Rather than using our own words to describe how beautiful and inspirational diving is, we have put together a list of our favorite scuba diving quotes (we’ve also thrown in some funny ones and jokes too!)
Some of the Best Scuba Diving Quotes
1. “Every time I slip into the ocean, it’s like going home” – Sylvia Earle
If there is one person who you’d imagine who would live underwater permanently if they could, it would certainly be Sylvia Earle. We are inclined to agree with the sentiments of her quote.
2. “No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal” – Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jacques Cousteau proved time and time again that he was one of our foremost thinkers and always had a wise and thought-provoking thing to say about the ocean, aquatic life and diving. We really could have picked out any and would have solid gold, but this is one of our favorites.
3. “Every time you dive, you hope you’ll see something new – some new species. Sometimes the ocean gives you a gift, sometimes it doesn’t” – James Cameron
Any divers reading this who have completed a few dives at the very least will know how true The Terminator and Titanic director’s words are.
4. “Some girls go swimming…real girls go scuba diving”
We wholeheartedly agree with this statement. It’s something we’ve always found to be true. Seriously though, we don’t want to diss anyone who has not tried diving yet and would rather gently persuade them that it’s something they should try.
5. “Always be nice to a diver. We know places, where you will find you”
We’re only kidding with this one…or are we?
6. “I am a diver. This means my mind and heart are sometimes underwater. Thank you for your understanding”
Surely this can be used as a reasonable excuse for any unreasonable behavior. No? The quote still makes us smile.
7. “I love scuba diving. I’m an avid diver. And, there’s this beautiful world that’s more incredible than any CGI film we could ever make, that we’re destroying, for what? It’s heartbreaking to me” – Blake Lively
Blake Lively is not the first Hollywood A-lister to bring climate control, pollution and overfishing to the fore, but we are glad she did, and this quote may have made our eyes water a little. Shut up, it’s you that’s crying, not us!
8. “There are two kinds of divers, divers who pee in their wetsuits and divers that don’t tell the truth” – anonymous
In true diver fashion, we are not going to even suggest what side of the argument we fall.
9. “I need Vitamin Sea”
Who doesn’t like a good pun now and then?
10. “I am happy anywhere I can see the ocean”
We are surely not the only people who feel a sigh of relief when we reach the coast and a beach
11. “Keep calm and love sharks”
Given the misconception that many people have fir sharks and the fact that their numbers are dwindling due to the killing of hundreds upon hundred, we all should be showing more love for sharks.
12. “They say home is where the heart is. For most people, that consists of four walls & a welcome mat. But for me, it’s the ocean”
We love this spin on a very traditional and popular phrase that you will undoubtedly have heard. It mirrors what Sylvia Earle has said in another quote as well as other famous divers.
13. “Scuba Diving. Keep your friends close and your anemones closer”
For the last two spaces in our look at scuba diving we felt like we had to cover both our favorite types of quotes. Therefore, we have another funny like the above. We’re sorry…it may not be cool, but it tickles us no end.
14. “Dear ocean. Thank you for making us feel tiny, humble, inspired, and salty…all at once”
Finally. This is probably the most emotive and powerful of our collection. It’s certainly the attitude and viewpoint we have and wish more people wanted to share their love of the oceans.
We are at a serious fork in the road, it feels, for the environment, including the world that inhabits the parts of our planet that are covered in water. Our planet has always looked after us, shouldn’t we do the same for it in return?